This is the good news- eating disorders and depression are treatable conditions, especially when treated early. The best treatment addresses one’s psychological, medical and nutritional needs. Full recovery is definitely possible.
Nonetheless, the hardest part may be to admit that help is needed and to seek professional help.
If you are hurting, be brave and tell somebody. And if you know someone suffering, share this message with them. It’s not too late to get help.
Where can I get help?
- Eating Disorder Hope
- Living in Truth
- Singapore: Better Life Clinic, Singapore General Hospital Life Centre
- Canada: National Eating Disorder Information Center (NEDIC)
- Canada: Sheena’s Place
- Canada: Toronto General Hospital ED Unit, Credit Valley Hospital
How do I find out more?
- National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA)
- Beating Eating Disorders (BEAT)
- Understanding Anorexia
- About Depression
How do I help a friend?
- “More seeking help for eating disorders here” – Strait Times
- Coming of Age – Singapore Medical Journal (2005)
Useful for parents
Useful for someone struggling
*With special thanks to Dr. Kim Abraham-Rolles for her book recommendations.
Dove Self-Esteem Fund (Singapore Version)